Current:Home > FinanceFinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Retired Belarusian hockey player Konstantin Koltsov dies in Florida at 42 -Golden Summit Finance
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Retired Belarusian hockey player Konstantin Koltsov dies in Florida at 42
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 07:43:05
MIAMI (AP) — Former Belarusian hockey player Konstantin Koltsov,FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center who was coaching in the KHL, has died in Florida, police said Tuesday. He was 42.
Miami-Dade Police detective Argemis Colome confirmed Koltsov’s death in a statement sent to The Associated Press. Police said the death was an apparent suicide and no foul play was suspected.
Koltsov served as an assistant coach for Salavat Yulaev Ufa the past two seasons. He also was an assistant on staff for the Belarusian men’s national team.
National team coach Dmitry Baskov called Koltsov’s death “an irreparable loss.”
“Konstantin was one of the undisputable leaders of our team, a talented progressive coach, a bright player,” Baskov said in a statement. “He was an example of sturdiness, hard work, dedication and an idol for many Belarusian boys and his colleagues. It’s hard and unfair when such people leave so early.”
Koltsov played in 144 NHL games for the Pittsburgh Penguins from 2003-06 after being selected in the first round of the 1999 draft, putting up 12 goals and 26 assists. The Penguins in a statement extended condolences to Koltsov’s family and friends.
Koltsov played most of his career in the Russian Superleague, which morphed into the KHL, finishing with Dynamo Minsk in 2015-16 and going into coaching. Salavat Yulaev Ufa expressed sorrow for the death of Koltsov, who won a Gagarin Cup championship with the club as a player in 2010-11.
“He was a strong and cheerful person, he was loved and respected by players, colleagues, and fans,” the team said in a statement. “(Koltsov) forever wrote himself into the history of our club.”
Koltsov had been dating second-ranked women’s tennis player Aryna Sabalenka, who was scheduled to play in the Miami Open tournament that began Tuesday. A spokesperson for the Miami Open said late Tuesday afternoon that Sabalenka had not withdrawn from the event.
As one of the 32 seeded players in the women’s bracket, Sabalenka received a first-round bye. She is scheduled to make her initial appearance in the 2024 edition of the tournament in the second round on Thursday, when she would face the winner of a match between two-time major champion Simona Halep and Paula Badosa.
Messages sent to Sabalenka’s publicist were not immediately returned.
Sabalenka is a 25-year-old also from Belarus who won the Australian Open in January for her second consecutive title at Melbourne Park. She was featured during the Netflix docuseries “Break Point,” speaking emotionally about the death of her father when he was in his early 40s.
___
This story includes discussion of suicide. If you or someone you know needs help, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 988.
___
AP sports: https://apnews.com/sports
veryGood! (95315)
Related
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Actor Ross McCall Shares Update on Relationship With Pat Sajack’s Daughter Maggie Sajak
- Dan Evans, former Republican governor of Washington and US senator, dies at 98
- Election 2024 Latest: Trump and Harris campaign for undecided voters with just 6 weeks left
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- North Carolina’s governor vetoes private school vouchers and immigration enforcement orders
- Police chase in NYC, Long Island ends with driver dead and 7 officers, civilian taken to hospitals
- 'Golden Bachelorette': Gil Ramirez's temporary restraining order revelation prompts show removal
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Actor Ross McCall Shares Update on Relationship With Pat Sajack’s Daughter Maggie Sajak
Ranking
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Married at First Sight's Jamie Otis Gives Birth, Welcomes Twins With Doug Hehner
- Martha Stewart says 'unfriendly' Ina Garten stopped talking to her when she went to prison
- Nikki Glaser Trolls Aaron Rodgers Over Family Feud and More at New York Jets Game
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Horoscopes Today, September 20, 2024
- Martha Stewart says 'unfriendly' Ina Garten stopped talking to her when she went to prison
- Alec Baldwin urges judge to stand by dismissal of involuntary manslaughter case in ‘Rust’ shooting
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Civil War Museum in Texas closing its doors in October; antique shop to sell artifacts
The first day of fall is almost here: What to know about 2024 autumnal equinox
Judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to protect dolphins along the Mississippi Gulf Coast
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
ATTN: Target’s New Pet Collab Has Matching Stanley Cups and Accessories for You and Your Furry Friend
Conor McGregor, who hasn't fought since 2021, addresses his status, UFC return
Civil War Museum in Texas closing its doors in October; antique shop to sell artifacts